Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

The ignition key won't come out of the ignition. Car is in

Customer Question

the ignition key won't come out of the ignition. Car is in park. Even have foot on the brake and wiggling the steering wheel back and forth.
JA: How has the car been driving lately?
Customer: yes. just fine. first time for thid
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2005 kia sorrento
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to leave it parked and take the key out. wd40 in the ignition. slamming the gearshift into park. lightly tapping the key and ignition switch lightly with small hammer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Suspect that problem is in the park signal coming from the gearshift. removed the rubber seal on gearshift cover but cover firmly attached so didnt go farther
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

This is going to be an issue with the ignition lock not being released from the shifter lever being in park. Since you have the shifter components exposed can you see the ignition lock cable move in and out when shifted in and out of park? Do any parts look loose or broken or out of adjustment where the cable connects to the shifter?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris