Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
2947720

No crank, no start with a 2004 Kia Sedona. Yes, battery is

Customer Question

Hello. No crank, no start with a 2004 Kia Sedona.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes, battery is new and was tested to be strong. All lights work. Starter was pulled and tested at local Autoparts store. Strong and working. Connection to solenoid is good.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, I'd love to fix it myself but I'm running out of options. So far, I've
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I tested the relays. All seem to be good. Fuse connections are sound. None broken
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Does the starter relay have power to 2 terminals when the key is turned to start?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the starter has power.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could this be a problem with the Anti-theft feature?
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

No, that is a bad starter if there is 12 volts to it, (both terminals) and it won't turn.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. No, I didn't go back under the car. The problem showed up a week, ago, I removed the starter/solenoid and had it tested at AutoZone. They said it was a good strong starter. I had reinstalled the starter and the car started. It drove for 5 days, no problem.
Yesterday, I tried to start. The starter engaged and the car turned over. I thought it was starting up and let go of the key. Then tried it again. No crank, no start.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll check.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was unable to use your help. I hoped you had some knowledge regarding the KIA Sedona. All the things you asked me to check I had already checked before I contacted you. I was able to get the advice I needed with a quick call to the KIA Service Department at my local dealership. I replaced the Junction Block Assembly ($75 new) and the car works. It turns out that this is a well-known problem with this car. Please don't charge me and don't contact me anymore.
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

Would you have rather I guessed at it rather than check some of the basics?