sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have the same problem on my 2006 Kia Spectra fuel pump

Customer Question

I have the same problem on my 2006 Kia Spectra fuel pump change, fuel relays changed, problem still exist. Once my vehicle shuts off it takes about 20 minutes consistently to start and stay on. After that it will shut off every 15-20min although if it has been sitting a while it will take about 45 minutes to cut off.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To be more clear. If The vehicle will idle for a few hours without cutting off. It will run for about 45-60 min from a cold start before cutting off. Once it cuts off it will take about 15-20 minutes to restart.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a number of things that could be causing the engine to die. If you're actually losing fuel pressure yet the pump is new then you'd have to be losing power or ground to it, most likely due to a wiring issue.

It's very possible that you're losing spark which could be a cam or cranks sensor issue, wiring, it's possibly that the engine controller is going down due to a loss of power or ground or an internal failure.

The first step in diagnosing the problem was to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are stored. Have you checked for codes?