K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

2001 kia sportage. The engine overheated and I found the

Customer Question

2001 kia sportage. The engine overheated and I found the tank on my radiator cracked. I filled up with coolant but the engine runs really bad now. Pulled spark plugs to do a compression test and they are swimming in oil. Compression is only 75 psi in number 3 and 150 in the others. I saw steam coming out of spark plug holes 3 and 4. There isnt any oil in the coolant. Are had gaskets common on these vehicles?
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 months ago.

Hello, under extreme overheating it is common for them to blow in this model. From what you describe it does sound like the head gasket is gone.

If this is something you plan to fix yourself I can give you the info on pulling head if you like.