Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

What more can I say?.....ESC and Check Engine light comes on

Customer Question

What more can I say?.....ESC and Check Engine light comes on and loss of acceleration. I car is turned off and restarted the lights sometimes go off and the car will accelerate. Sometime just the ESC light will go off and the car will accelerate. Sometimes you will have to crank it and turn it of a number of times before the light or lights reset and car will accelerate. Car has been towed to the dealer 5 times and each time it is supposedly fixed however that's never been the case. I see where this seems to be a reoccurring problem with other vehicles, why can't the service department at the KIA dealership fix the problem?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

i know you mentioned you cant remember but maybe you can look at receipt if you have them , that would help

ground is an issue, but i believe 5 times they can fix a ground cable, your issue is wiring or a module resting, since the cycling of the switch is fixing it ,its like turning your laptop on & off until it reset .

do you have any reports that describes what repairs been done at dealer 5 times ,should be on receipt that you can share with me ?

is there any fault codes numbers were given to you as far the ESC light that you supply to me ?

what is the mileage on the vehicle ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll have to see if I can find the receipts. This has been an ongoing problem for over 4 years. They say they fix the problem each time but since it's intermittent, I don't know that they haven't until it happens again. I'm just tired of paying to have this problem fixed and getting my car back only to find out in a few days or a week that it hasn't been fixed. Now they are telling me that they think it might be the transmission control module $1300 and if that doesn't fix it they want to replace the engine control module $1700. But they really don't know. So, I could pay them an add'l $3000 and still be in the same shape I'm in
now. I don't understand how they can continue to charge me to fix my car but my car is still in the same shape it was when this started 4 years ago. This is just crazy.
I honestly suggested to you to take it to another dealer or another reputable repair shop and a 2nd opinion ,the dealership are as good as the Technician they work there.Do not agree to pay anything , unless the problem is resolved, if there is no guarantee that will solved,and if it doesn't they WILL reimburse you ,then don't do it.
I suggest an amoco,cottman transmission repair shop, if it is a Trans problem the techs there will have more experience then the tech at dealer when it comes to Trans problems then the tech at dealership , because transmission shop technician works on transmission all day, so they see these problems more than the dealer and will know what to look for.
Sorry you are having this problem, another suggestion will be to traded in , instead you going Down the slippery sloap road, of they keep telling you , you need this & that if you are not confident they will fix it
Please let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here and we will continue
Thank You *****
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician