sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I just purchased a 2009 Kia Borrego LX with 72,000 miles. It

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2009 Kia Borrego LX with 72,000 miles. It has a noticeable whine when at idle and it the sound changes with acceleration. I can hear it in the cabin, but can also hear it outside the vehicle.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: The transmission is original. No, I haven't checked the fuel filters. I will do that.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't plan on fixing it myself. I just purchased the car a week ago, but didn't notice the sound when I bought it. I haven't tried anything, but was planning on taking it to a mechanic to have it checked out. Was wondering if I should just take it back to the dealer and get my old car back.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That is it. Other than that, the car drives great and I really love it.
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A whine noise that changes with engine speed is most likely coming from an engine driven accessory but it could be transmission pump whine. A restricted filter will often cause the trans pump to whine.

Does the noise change when turning the steering wheel?
Are there any performance or shifting issue?