Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

Issues with what sounds like a bad battery. Have owned it

Customer Question

Issues with what sounds like a bad battery.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Have owned it since 2012, have been dealing with "hard start" especially when the engine is warm. Drove it for about a year and a half before the battery died. Bought a new one.
JA: What is the model of your '12 Kia?
Customer: 2006 Kia Rio5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, just trying to figure out what else could be draining the battery.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Bought a new battery 1 1/2 years ago. Drove for a year, hard start all the way. Took it back to Interstate they tested the battery said it was bad. Put a new battery in and same issues. 6 months now.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I would start first with also having the charging system tested to be sure its performing properly. The normal charge rate on a good working alternator needs to be right at 14 volts with the engine running. If the alternator checks okay and the battery will hold a load then you need to have a draw test performed to be sure there is nothing draining the battery. I have enclosed the battery draw test in the link below