Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

My transmission on my 2007 KIA Rondo was acting up. I put in

Customer Question

Hello... My transmission on my 2007 KIA Rondo was acting up. I put in some Lucas stop slip. It seems to have helpd. However, the instuctions say to add while car is running. Well, the engine fan was on and blew the lucas while I was pouring it into the AT fluid dipstic/ filler (had funnel in it), and it spilled on wires next to the dipstick/filler. Now, the next day, I was driving, and I noticed the AC stops blowing cold when i'm stopped. I drove some more, same thing. I pulled over to a service center and popped the hood (not sure what I was looking for), but didn't notice anything, but the car felt hot. Didn't think much of it as it is VERY hot today. When I got back in, the car was overheating and in the RED. I immediately put the hot air on and it dropped back to the normal range. So, the tansmission seems better, but now my AC stops and the car is overheating. What did I do, if anything, and what should I do to fix it?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Are you a robot?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Kia Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Why are you asking about noise? I didn't mention noise... at all. Robot
JA: I'm just trying to get information to help you. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Serioussly?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no. will they be contacting me?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Sorry about Pearl; she's a robot. She likes to pretend she's not, but she is.

I'm suspecting that the two problems might be related, but not necessarily in the way it seems. What I mean to say is, is it possible that the vehicle was running a little hot before adding to the transmission? If the transmission was running hot it could have been causing it to slip- transmission fluid doesn't like being too hot.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Have you checked the coolant level yet?

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Also, do you have the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is full
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked the oil and AT fluid. They are full
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Ok. That's good.

Is yours the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

Do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is the 6. No lights
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

When the vehicle was getting hot, could you hear the electric cooling fans running?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cannot recall if I heard them, but the ac and transmission started acting odd. It overheated when I was stopped.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Check to see if the fans are coming on when it's overheating. If you don't hear them on, try putting the AC on- the AC should make turn the fans on unless they are burned out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As I mentioned, when I was adding AT fluid, the radiator fan was blowing and blew some of the AT fluid as I was pouring it. They were on then, but I wonder if the AT fluid that was blown into wires could have shorted the fan?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

I've never seen oil short an electrical connection. Oil and other lubricants don't conduct electricity very well and therefore don't typically cause damage to wiring or electrical connections.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just drove it again. The transmission is really acting strange. Could that be connected to the ac issue and the overheating?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It seems like the ac compressor is messing with the tranny and vice versa. I drove it without the ac, and the tranny the as weird but better. No overheating either. Then I turned in the ac on low, the tranny acted a bit weirder, still no overheating. Then I put it on max ac.... and it turned off again. The tranny really act up, and the overheating started right back up again.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It would be more likely that the engine is acting up rather than the transmission and it just feels like a transmission issue. The AC compressor could be putting extra load on the engine which then causes it to run poorly. Rarely have I ever seen the AC compressor cause an electrical problem that could then affect the transmission. I say electrical problem because that is the only common link between the AC and the transmission.