sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I bought a compass to stick on the dashboard but it will not

Customer Question

I bought a compass to stick on the dashboard but it will not show the correct direction and does not change when I change direction. The service rep said there is some sort of magnet under the dash and compasses don't work. Is that true? If so, is there some other sort of compass that will work?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Well when I stuck it on my dashboard it never worked. My car is a 2016 Sorento and I have had it since March.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have done nothing. I was hoping to find out if another compass might work but I don't want to go out and buy one unless I know it will work.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The car is also equipped with a Sirius satellite radio if that means anything.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 2 months ago.

does this compass point to true North before you place it on the dash? Like if you were to set it on a bench?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it does not, even when I am facing North. It never changes direction when I change directions.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I take the compass outside of the car it works OK so It's not the compass that's bad, there is something in the car (magnet) that prevents the compass from moving
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seems to me that you are unable or unwilling to give me a definitive answer to my issue. So please issue a credit to my credit card of the $5.00 that I authorized to begin this conversation. If you can't answer my question without escalating to a phone call for an additional $26.00 I believe we should end this.

We do not have to do phone call,thought it might help because you gave two opposite responses to my question

Commonly ,speakers have magnets in them, some navigational equipment has magnets, some high tech electronics utilize magnets, all of these normally do not interfere with a compass.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Then why is it frozen when I mount it on the dash?

I am going to opt out so another expert can weigh in on this unusual situation.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?