Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

I have a 2012 Kia Optima and it will not start says key not

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Kia Optima and it will not start says key not detected
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This is usually due to a fault with the key itself.Your vehicles security system uses the key signal to allow starting of the engine and if the key signal is not correct or detected this issue occurs here.I have had to replace several faulty keys in the past before for issues like this here.The other cause is the immobilizer that reads the key can be defective needing replaced.

If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out at all to see what codes are set this needs done.If any codes are set the codes need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete