Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.

07 spectra won't start, acted like bad connection at battery

Customer Question

07 spectra won't start, acted like bad connection at battery so I cleaned them and reinstalled. Charged battery with cables and when connected My rpm's went down on the other car so I know there was a good connection. Now everything is dead, no lights, no buzzer, nothing.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I did not but I have it charging on another charger right now. And yes I have changed a battery before. I replaced this one about 8 months ago.
JA: What year is your Spectra?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, just cables, removed wires from starter and cleaned those terminals too.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything really. Car stranded wife at gas station so she called me and I told her to turn on the lights, wiggle battery cables, which she couldn't do but oddly, it started after that and she got home. So I removed both cables, reinstalled them, charged battery and now nothing. Not even a courtesy light.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Typically the only thing that is going to cause this type of issue is either the main fusible link or the battery connection, or the battery itself.

I believe on this car the main fusible link is the 120 amp alt fuse under the hood. Check it out, and if it's good, then you may actually want to try a jump start just to see if you get any power at all. It's possible there is a problem with the charger or the battery just didn't take the charge.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, it's late but I have the battery out and on an aftermarket charger. I'll install it in the morning and see what happens. If nothing I'll take the battery in and have it checked. Also, where exactly is the 120 amp alt fuse located?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

The 120 amp fusible link is the alternator fuse in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery.