Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

My kia starts fine and goes in gear fine backed up and when

Customer Question

my kia starts fine and goes in gear fine backed up and when in drive will not go above 10 mph
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: my car is 8 yrs old
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: but I keep it in good working order at kia dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i never fix it myself i just tried to drive to work and this started on the street so turned around and went home
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i just want answer not tour of site i am in a hurry i may have to havr it towed
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine revving up with this issue here but not shifting up into a higher gear or does the engine feel like it is bogging down when this occurs?

If you rev up the engine in park or neutral does it sound like it is revving up properly?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is shifting not reving even in neutral
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it ran fine the other day coming home from work Saturday i did not drive yesterday i drive an hour each way to work
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
anyone there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
why did I pay for no one here?????
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I apologize I am here just looking into some info on your model.Will post back here real quick.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
never mind this was a complete waste and i thought this was free trial? you didn't tell me anything I am not going to pay you to ask me questions.
never m9ind
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

This indicates either a restricted fuel filter,weak fuel pump or restricted catalytic converter.These are the 3 most common causes for what you have described and can fail suddenly like this here.Unfortunately you will have to have this tested/checked further to pinpoint which is the cause here and then from there that component replaced.

If the vehicle is starting up properly most likely the pump is o.k. and this may just be a fuel filter issues or a fault with a restricted catalytic converter needing replaced.

You will need to have a fuel pressure test done with a fuel pressure test gauge to see if this is a fuel issue and an exhaust back pressure test done to see if this is a restricted catalytic converter needing replaced.

Most shops or a dealer will have the tools to test this here unless you have them I can tell you how to test this if you like just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete