Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained

Having a problem with my 2011 kia sorento. shifter wont go

Customer Question

Having a problem with my 2011 kia sorento. shifter wont go into or out of park ... sometimes
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up? Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yep indicator ligths are coming on dont know about the brake lights
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not much my wife reported this to me over the phone and I'm just trying to figure out what might be causing it ...
Category: Kia
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, usually when this happens it is a brake switch issue. There is a recall about replacing the brake switch for the 2011 Sorento. If the brake switch is bad the vehicle will not unlock the shifter to enable you to shift from park. Try stomping on the brake pedal hard and seeing if it works.