Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

My 2005 Kia Avanti with 190000 miles has both ABS and BRAKE

Customer Question

My 2005 Kia Avanti with 190000 miles has both ABS and BRAKE warning light on all the time (NOT blinking). Bought this car 3 weeks ago and it had ABS, Brake and Airbag lights on. I used an AUTEL AL619 scanner and it cleared the Airbag light after giving the code that was related to low voltage on the car. (Prior to me getting the car, the battery had been dead for a while, but it was replaced with a good working battery and therefore the Airbag fault was cleared). The MAIN problem now is that the AUTEL scanner AL619 and a second scanner used to diagnose ABS, an AUTEL MaxyDiag Elite MD802 for All Systems, BOTH SCANNERS keep giving the message: " UNABLE TO ESTABLISH COMMUNICATION WITH THE VEHICLE'S CONTROL UNIT " I checked fuses and they are working. When using the scanners, where the Module for ABS should appear, it gives the Module : ESC (Electronic Stability Control). I spoke to the tech support from AUTEL, and they said the problem is the car, not the scanners. HOW CAN I FIX THIS ABS/BRAKE light problem ?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

if you checked all the fuses and both scanners coming up with no communication then the ABS module itself needs replacement

you can try unplugging the module , shown in the diagram i sent you labeled # 1 and use electrical cleaner ( u can buy at any auto parts store ) and clean the connector in case it is not making a good connection if the scanner is still not seeing the the abs module then you need replacement .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat