sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2006 Kia Sportage. Turn the key, no sound, all dash lights

Customer Question

2006 Kia Sportage. Turn the key, no sound, all dash lights on, but no start. Do this several times, then it starts. Sometimes starts on first try.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Where are the fuses located, and how do I check them. Have read something about removing the relay labeled "alternator", plug it back in, and car starts. Also read about it being the key, thinking the care was being stolen. Also read something about a service bulletin against a wire harness from the computer to the starter. Any clues?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not done anything. I am hoping the fix will not be expensive.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing.
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are mny possible causes for a no start condition and it will take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to know for sure what is going on. The problem may be the ignition switch itself, the starter, starter relay, a transmission range sensor related issue, the engine controller may not be awake due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground.

Is there a security light flashing or staying on sold when this happens?