Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I put my key in the ignition and my steering wheel is

Customer Question

I put my key in the ignition and my steering wheel is locked. My key does not turn.
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: I will try thst
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2009 rio
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My dealer has replaced the ignition switch once before. I have released the steering wheel where it can go up and down and juggled it and released the emergency break so the car moved forward.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I straighten the wheels. I heard if I put WD-40 in the ignition it would release it but have not tried that yet.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Ok so try turning your steering wheel so that it moves the tires just a bit. If it won't turn one way turn it the other. Then try the key. If the wheel has pressure against it so that you can't even budge the steering wheel it puts pressure on the lock mechanism and you need to get that pressure off so you can turn the key.Hence you may have to really put some pressure on the turning of the steering wheel.Let me know what happens.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The steering wheel is locked and will not turn tires.
Will the steering wheel budge a 1/4 inch in either direction?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually more like a 1/2 inch?
Do you still need help with this problem?