Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Ever since I purchased my 2015 Rio, I am not getting the

Customer Question

Ever since I purchased my 2015 Rio, I am not getting the mileage as noted on the sticker. 95% of my driving is to and from work (54 Miles roundtrip) on the freeway. I am lucky to get 30 MPG. I was thinking of getting a chip from PCD to see if it would help. But I though that maybe, I could get KIA to replace the existing IAT/MAF sensor first , to see if the would possibly help.
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: No it does not.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have done nothing to it so far. I don't want to take a chance on voiding the warranty.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

First, the mileage on the sticker is an estimate only based upon carefully controlled testing on a dynometer or closed track. The highway mileage is based upon steady speed of 55mph with no braking for traffic and no acceleration to pass other vehicles. These are the standards the NHTSA uses for all vehicles when getting mileage ratings.

As to using a chip, it will indeed void your warranty as it does tamper with engine management and emissions systems.

You can try to get Kia to replace the sensor, but unless it tests bad, they will not replace it under warranty. They have to send every part replaced under warranty back to Kia and it is tested there. If it tests good, the dealer is charged back for it.