HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Auto Technician
285738

AC blower motor fails after approximately one hour of use.

Customer Question

AC blower motor fails after approximately one hour of use. replaced motor and resistor, three times in three days, the plug on the resistor harness showed signs of heat, no melted wires or connectors anywhere
Category: Kia
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, the blower stops working on all speeds? Did you replace the blower resistor connector? When the blower stops working if you wiggle the harness does it start working again? Have you inspected the blower switch and connector?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did not inspect the switch, replace the plug connector at the blower motor because it had shorted together, cannot find any other burned or where's that look like it been hot. The motor starts making noise and then just gets worse and worse and worse until it just quits.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok since the blower motor connector has been replaced, does the new one show signs of it starting to melt or overheat? You replaced the wires with the conector correct and not just the connector shell? Do you have the motor wired correctly so it spins in the correct direction, not reversed polarity?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually the dealer did that part and I considered that they may have it wired backwards but I m not sure which way it should spin. Do I Chechen the spades coming out of the motor and they both show continuity between them and the screw heads on the motor trying to figure which one should be ground- is it shorted?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok so im assuming the dealer used dealer parts. If they did the original diagnosis, it should be on them to get this resolved. There are no known technical service bulletins other than an issue with remote start operation of the fan which is a wire harness repair(which the dealer should be aware of). Either the fan is a defective part, which it would be hard to believe after multiple replacements. Or an issue with the blower switch itself which is the only thing left in the circuit other than the blower relay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The pigtail they used has 2 black wires do it could have easily reversed. I'm thinking maybe it was. Which way should it spun? With the motor on the floor and the cage facing up which is how it goes in the car , it spins counter clockwise.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also found they had the cabin filter in backward
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

They should have wired it correctly. It doesnt give me the direction the motor spins but shows me a picture of how to wire the motor.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wired correctly. Picture helped. Could a blower motor cause this ? The cabin filter was definitely backwards Air flow problem?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

most blower motors have an external air inlet hose that directs air back into the motor armature to keep it cool. Make sure if this motor has this feature, that the air inlet is clear and allows air to flow into the motor to keep it from overheating

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

If you need more help or information, let me know. If i was helpful, please leave a positive rating.