Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1

My Kia Rio is running hot. My radiator guy thins it is the

Customer Question

My Kia Rio is running hot. My radiator guy thins it is the thermostat. I tried to replace it and was stopped by a bracket which was attached to the bottom side stud, preventing me from removing the t'stat housing. This rigid bracket holds a metal tube, which looks like it is part of the A/C. I can't get enough play in it to remove the housing. What do I need to do?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

the AC pipe will seal on a rubber 'o-ring' so it will tolerate a little disturbance

if you look on the AC compressor pump there will be a single bolt holding in the pipe flange if you loosen the bolt so the pipe can move a little then this may give enough freedom of movement to remove the thermostat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this the Mfr's recommended procedure? I don't want to damage the A/C nor allow any leakage of the A/C fluid.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

the normal procedure is either to drain the AC and remove the pipe entirely

or remove the compressor entirely with the pipes still connected

if you're wary of leaking any AC gas then I'd say to go for moving the whole compressor out of the way with the pipes still attached

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wow! Who designed this debacle?! Have you actually done this job?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

the problem is the AC was added on after the engine was designed so you're stuck with that layout

and I've had to do this on another Kia engine but not this one

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

no problem

just get back to me on this post