Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I am having problems getting a diagnosis on my 2006 Kia

Customer Question

I am having problems getting a diagnosis on my 2006 Kia Sorrento 2-WD, 6 cylinder engine. I recently took my vehicle to a certified mechanic for an issue related to the shifting on my transmission. They stated it was probably the spark plugs and wires that need to be replaced. My check engine light didn't come on, and so their diagnostic machine couldn't tell them exactly what was wrong. So I ended up spending almost 800.00 for that visit. Needless to say I had the same problem when I pulled out. I am hesitant to take my suv back there because I feel like I have been takin advantage of.
Now the engine light comes on and then when I get ready to take it to another mechanic to get a diagnosis, it goes off. So I am afraid their computer won't read it. My Sorrento is not shifting properly in low gear. It hesitates when accelerating and when the transmission is down shifting in order to come to a stop. There is also a light on in the instrument cluster. It is #5 warning and indicator for the air bag warning. I would certainly appreciate any help I can get. I have owned my Sorrento since it was new and have maintained it over the years. It only has 85,000 miles.
Thank you,
Lurana Riendeau
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** can have codes checked for free at your local parts store so next time light comes on drive right to parts store, do not shut off vehicle, and have scantool connected to check codes. Any time you go to shop without check engine light on they will not be able to figure out much at least easily. Once you get codes you can reply back to this answer without additional fees and I can tell you common/possible problems, testing/repair instructions, and costs. It sounds like you probably have a failing shift solenoid or wiring to transmission based on what I'm hearing but checking codes is still step 1. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.