Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

It's actually my wife's car but, we are having a problem

Customer Question

It's actually my wife's car but, we are having a problem with it starting sometimes We will have to try it three of four time before it actually starts. Once it starts it's okay but, then we park, and then 20 minutes later when we try to start it we have this issue
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Battery is brand new
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2007 Kia Rio
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried any thing yet. She is out of town and hoping she makes it back so we can correct the problem.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's it
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

What you describe sounds like either a weak fuel pump or bad spark plugs. Next time you go to start it up can you try the following:

Turn the key to the run position for 3 seconds then back to off, then to run for 3 seconds, then back off, then run for 3 seconds, then back off, and then start it. This will prime up the fuel pump. If the engine starts right away by doing this then you know that the fuel pump is the problem. If it doesn't make a difference then the problem could be bad spark plugs. How old are the plugs?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
From what you are describing that really sounds like the problem. She is leaving today and out of town until Sunday when she will be driving back from Albany, Ga to Jacksonville, FL. Do you think she will be okay until she comes back
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just spoke with her and when she got in the car this morning it kicked right over no probelms
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Weak fuel pumps are affected by temperature also. Sometimes they work better when cold, sometimes better when it's hot. Then sometimes it works fine for a few days with no explanation. I would definitely suspect a dying fuel pump. They really aren't too terribly hard to change on the kia.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am in Florida where it 90 plus along with the humidity
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

That's probably helping it along. Warm fuel pumps easier.