Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I have a 2002 kia sportage and the anti theft alarm / horn

Customer Question

I have a 2002 kia sportage and the anti theft alarm / horn keeps going off. right now the only way to keep the horn silent is keep the key in the ignition. if I pull the key to get out of the car it keeps going off, will not stop door locked or unlocked, only if I keep the key in the ignition.
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: yes, used the key and just pushing down the lock latch. the alarm starts going off as soon as I pull the key out of the ignition
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I will fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no cant think of anything
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One of the most common causes for this issue here is a fault with one of the door latches itself.One of the latches can be sending an incorrect signal on what position the latch is in (example: locked or unlocked or opened and closed).This will cause the alarm to go off like this here if for instance your door shows locked but opened at the same time this sets off the alarm even though the actual door may be open and unlocked.Most common is the drivers door latch itself as it is the door that is used the most.

You will need to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set and from there those codes diagnosed to repair this issue.A compatible scan tool is needed for this that can communicate with all computers in your model.The scan tool is also used to monitor the door latch signals to locate one at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete