sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 Kia Sorento Ex and the Air compressor stop

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a 2005 Kia Sorento Ex and the Air compressor stop working I bought a new one and had it installed. Now every morning my car needs a jump as it appears that after i shut the vehicle off, something is still killing the battery. Why is this happening?
JA: How has the A/C been working? Have you noticed any leaks?
Customer: The A/C was working and now it let out all the freeone that was put in it. I put more and it works fine now.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, we check all the wiring to find out why the compressor is still on, however, it appears that everything is well for the exception that when I turn off the car the battery is dead by the AM hour. This only started happening since i change the air compressor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no just this
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A battery draw really shouldn't be directly related to replacing the compressor but I question whether the compressor clutch relay contacts are stuck. If the contacts stuck together then it would power the clutch coil all the time which draws a couple amps and that would kill the battery over night.

If you remove the compressor clutch relay with the engine off do you hear the clutch click, or does it click when the relay is reinserted?