Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

All of a sudden my Kia sorento didnt want to turn on...got

Customer Question

All of a sudden my Kia sorento didnt want to turn on...got cables and now just makes clicking noise.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Just happened today
JA: What year is your Sorento?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We used cables with another car that didn't help
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: We also used a travel battery box but it didn't turn just made clicking noise and lights come one but weak and dashboard lights.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The place to start is to make sure the battery is fully charged and holding at least 12 volts and the cables are clean and tight. If by chance it has failed its not uncommon to not be able to jump start the car. If the battery checks okay then the next step would be to take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and down at the starter check to see if you getting power at the starter on both the large battery cable as well as the small start circuit wire while having a helper hold the key in the crank position. If you find you have battery voltage on both wires and the starter will not engage ten that means the stater has failed. Check these things and post back if you need more help and we can work from there.