john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years foreign and domestic shop owner and technician

I was trying to determine what type of power steering fluid

Customer Question

I was trying to determine what type of power steering fluid to put into my kia rondo 2008
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: We recently bought the car. Yesterday my daughter was driving, she said at an intersection the power steering and breaks went weak at the same time, so she pulled over. when she restarted car it worked. My wife said that the power steering was low. was going to buy some before I went over there to look at car....may be low fluid, but may be something more.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't mind paying to have it fixed...
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: she stated that when she tried to tried to put the car in park it made a wierd noise. so she turned it off, then put in park, when she turned it back on it worked fine....i told her to park it till we can look at it....really just want to get it to point to have some one look at it.
Category: Kia
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 3 months ago.
  • Power Steering Fluid

any fluid with PSF - 3 rating

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would like to know if low fluid is likely issue or something else. Would like to know if the transmission would be related and what would possible tie the 2 together. I am guessing that this is one of the cars that uses power steering pump pressure instead of vacuum controlled booster on the power brake booster. Not sure if the pressure would be used by trans (would not think so, but ?) or could there be a vacuum issue. Might help to know that the car feels wierd when pulling up to intersections. AC fan seam to slow down, transmission feels kind of wierd (like not shifting at the right time)....may be seperate issue.

the power steering is its own pump and closed system seems like you have multiple issues