sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Key is stuck in ignition. Car won't start, No. Not sure.

Customer Question

Key is stuck in ignition. Car won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No. Not sure. It's been fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2008 spectra
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Otherwise AAA tomorrow.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I tried to turn steering wheel back and forth. Nothing. I'm going to make sure car is in park! One th I didn't check
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the key cannot be removed then odds are it isn't seeing that the shifter is in park. The ignition interlock will prevent the key from being turned to the lock position and removed unless the transmission is fully in park.

The problem could be with the interlock system, and issue in the shifter itself, the transmission or cable, or it could be a cable adjustment issue. The first thing I would recommend is pushing forward on the shifter while trying to turn the key back.If that doesn't help then it's going to take some disassembly to access the shifter and interlock components to further diagnose the problem.