Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

When I am driving on the ghway an push on the gas, I hear a

Customer Question

When I am driving on the highway an push on the gas, I hear a air sucking sound. Thats how it started. (Its a turbo engine.) Now when I push on the gas while on the highway, I get the sucking sound and also a tapping noise. Could this be something simple?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2012 kia optima sx turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. What is the approximate mileage on the vehicle? And have you checked the oil level yet? Also, is the check engine light on now? or have you seen it come on since you've noticed this problem? thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have 69,000 miles and no check engine light. I checked the oil and its fine. Actually I looked in the oil to see if there are any metal flakes but there are none. Also, with the car in park, I revved the engine to a steady 4000 rpms to see if I hear anything and I dont hear any knocks or anything. The only thing I do notice is if I push the pedal all the way to the ground while its in park, it breaks up a hair and stops revving... like it has a governor or something..It runs strong. The turbo kicks in fine. The only time I hear it is when I am cruising at 40+ mph on the highway. I notice the tapping noise and when I push in the gas I notice the air sucking noise and louder tapping noise. By push on the gas, I mean just a little... not enough to rev the engine or anything.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, There is a rev limiter while in Park, so around 3800 rpm's or so, it will begin to cut out some. No check engine light tells me there is not likely a vacuum leak, where that air sucking noise could possibly be coming from, unless it is coming pre MAF sensor, I would look at the air box closely, make sure the air filter is clean, as a restriction could possibly cause that sound. This vehicle is still under the 10 year 100K miles Kia factory warranty, so if there is any tapping from the lifters, then I believe it would possibly be covered if a Kia dealer finds that there is a failure there. It's also possible it is in the CV joints or transmission. But usually with CV joints you notice a clicking noise more around turns as it stresses the joint more. Have you had a dealer look at it yet? With this kind of noise, I would request going for a ride with the service writer or tech if possible to show them exactly what your hearing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok Thanks.. I haven't taken yet. I was hoping it was something small. They all charge $125 just to look at it. I schedule an appt. Thanks!
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Absolutely, thank you. If there is a failure that is coverable, then I feel you have a good chance at getting it covered under powertrain warranty. Thank you, and let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Edward,I didn't want to pay for the answer because the answer was basically go to the dealership. I was looking for a way to fix it myself. They recommended that I ask you to opt out of the question to see if someone else might have an answer.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Why you would want to fix it yourself if it could be covered under warranty seems odd to me, but I will opt out. Thank you.