Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

The light wit a key in a car is coming on...so is the air

Customer Question

The light wit a key in a car is coming on...so is the air bag light...the car seems to lose a little power . .plus i can smell something similiar to gas...
JA: Have you checked the codes? Is anything interfering with the seatbelt switch?
Customer: Yes one code seems to b the immobilizer...
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2005 kia aminti...v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed alternator...
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You need a high end scan tool to get the codes out of the immobilizer. It may have lost the key signal while you were trying to start it. You will also need to scan the airbag system for codes, probably not related to the key light. You have a few different issues. The throttle position sensors on this vehicle are prone to fail. You need a scan tool to diagnose.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please rate at the top of the screen. We can continue to work on your question, rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars. Please let me know why and how I can help you more. Thanks Dan