Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

Drove about 30 miles on my Optima which I purchased just two

Customer Question

Drove about 30 miles on my Optima which I purchased just two days ago. I was about 3 miles from home when I noticed the "Battery discharge warning". It went away after a few seconds but reappeared 6 more times before I shut the engineer off in my garage. What is causing this?
JA: What year is your Optima?
Customer: 2016 with about 70 miles on it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to know the cause and is there reason to worry. Or is this a common thing - there are many people who experienced this in the forums - and will it go away by itself or do I need to have a service department look inti the problem?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My insurance company installed something called RightTrack to monitor my driving to see if I qualify for a discount. I may just remove the device and see if the problem goes away. What do you think?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Optima.

The problem that we see of these Optimas are that the alternator starts to go in and out like you are seeing (the Discharge Warning light). Do you hear any unusual noises or squealing?