Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I have a 2011 soul, room mate crossed the battery cables and

Customer Question

Hi pearl, I have a 2011 soul, room mate crossed the battery cables and fried the radio. I checked the fuses, they were fine,bought a new radio and installed it, but no power or actiivity. I hope tat you can tell me where to find the code?
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: Have located the fuse box, but do not know how to check the circuit.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Originally two years ago, I checked fuses with much cursinf from tiny space and tinier tools. Went to dealer, they said it was toast. Bought a new (old stock, never installed) radio on e bay, and installed it today. No power to unit, was windering if there is a code.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 months ago.

do you have a Volt Meter (DC) or a Test Light & know how to use?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, but can get one.

Thanks........
What "Code" are you referring to?
Did you replace the Factory Radio with another Factory Radio
OR
Did you install Aftermarket Radio?
IF Aftermarket, Brand & Model Number?
.
Depending on which Factory Radio you have:

Please test Voltage + on the RED wire (Pin 4), GREEN wire (Pin6) & the RED wire (Pin15) at the back of the Radio with Key ON.
Please answer all questions
Let me know what you find

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looking up symptoms of non performance with radios because of battery disconnection many places that I checked talked about needing a code to reset the radio so that it would function. I replaced it with a new factory radio not used thank you for your help and I will try this and get back to you.

You posted: . but no power or actiivity.
Code for radio would not make the Display inop.......
IF there is NO Display, then there is a Voltage issue.......
Need Voltage findings......

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Checked, found corresponding fuses. Got power, but no sound. Changed out amp fuse too. All fixed. thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wrong, no volume to speak of. Maxed, but cannot hear over a.c.. even when maxed.

???

???

Sorry........I don't understand?
Did you have sound or not
IF so, what led up to getting sound?
Did it go out again?
.

I asked that you "TEST" 2 wires & post back to me...........
I never asked you to check "Fuses"
Please respond to testing the 2 wires

.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First of all, had to borrow meter from friend, he tested, found corresponding fuse and changed. I could not wait eight hours to ask your permission to change a fuse. Friend uses meter to make a living. I have full power and functionality of radio, and get sound but get no volume until 28 on the volume dial. Did not go out again. I understand that it is difficult doing this over a computer, I hope that you understand that I am trying to do this between two jobs and school, so if my friend finds a bad fuse and pulls it, it is not to frustrate you. I no longer have access to the meter.

have a great day..........

thanks