Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

QUESTION}

Customer Question

QUESTION}
Submitted: 5 months ago via TrueDelta.com.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

What is your question please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My son's 2012 Kia optima just started to use a great deal of oil 3-4 quarts in 1500-miles. The car was purchased new well maintained with 98K miles. I know that Kia has a engine issue with soft bearings causing the engines to fail no leaks or oil spots on the ground. Could, this bearing issue be the cause of this high oil use
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Sorry to say it, but no.

If it's using this much oil it's got an issue with the oil rings most likely or some type of scoring on the cylinder walls.

The only way to be 100% sure is a leak down test on each cylinder.

You may also have a plugged up PCV valve. This could cause high crank case pressure and that will push oil past the rings.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

I haven't heard from you and was wondering if you need further assistance with this?