sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2011 kia sorrento with 182k miles. It has been hesitating a

Customer Question

2011 kia sorrento with 182k miles. It has been hesitating a little for the past week when shifting gears. Today check engine light came on and then a severe loss of power. Stopped. Turned car off and had enough power after restart to get home but check engine light is still on. Any ideas?
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: solid. this just happened.
JA: What is the model of your '11 Kia?
Customer: sorento
JA: Huh?
Customer: when I last filled up with gas I thought that the hesitation may be from bad gas so I filled up with premium unleaded. Then today the check engine light and loss of power.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried nothing but looking for an idea of where to begin
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause a loss of power or check engine light. The problem may be an inaccurate sensor, an electronic throttle control issue, it could definitely be low fuel pressure or a fuel quality concern.

The check engine light has come on because the engine controller has seen a problem in a monitored system or component and has set a fault code. The first step in diagnosing the issue will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes have set and then testing will be done based on that. Do you know what codes are setting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
P0638 was the code. I took it to the dealer and there was a TSB to clean the throttle body. They did that and am good to go. Seems to have fixed the problem. Thank You!