Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

My car is making a clicking sound while driving, I only hear

Customer Question

My car is making a clicking sound while driving, I only hear it when I'm going slow or stopping due to the engine sound. It doesn't do it when idling, but every once in a while when I start my car. Seems like everthing else is in working order, just want to know what this noise is, if its dangerous, and how to fix it. Also my a/c doesn't work, but it doesn't need to be recharged.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did the ac issue occur at the same time the clicking noise started?

Does it make the clicking noise in park or neutral at idle or when revving up the engine or only when the vehicle is moving?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, the a/c and clicking noise at not related. The noise is only while driving, and occasionally when I start the car. The noise stops when I stop driving and after a few seconds of starting the car.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

If you turn side to side when the noise occurs while driving does the noise change pitch or go away at all or has this been tried?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't tried it. The noise starts after I get up to speed so I haven't had a chance to notice if it does.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,with the noise being at start up and when moving this may be a timing component rattling or belt tensioner possibly.It may also possibly be a fault with the transmission with the torque converter possibly.I have seen these cause noise like this here and these need to be checked into to locate if any are the cause here.This may take an automotive stethescope to listen around the engine and transmission area and may take a second person.

The issue with the ac can be a fault with the ac compressor itself,a low or high pressure switch,the ac compressor relay or possibly a fault code set in one of the computers.This will need to be checked into further to pinpoint and repair this issue here.Without proper testing this can be difficult to diagnose and will require an ac pressure gauge assembly as well as electrical test equipment and a compatible scan tool.

Both of these are usually best tested by either a dealer or local repair facility familiar with this model here if you can.They will have the correct testing info and knowledge to locate and repair these issues but these above are the common causes.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete