gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have had my 2004 RIO in the shop (3) months now. They

Customer Question

I have had my 2004 RIO in the shop for three (3) months now. They cannot take the car home and test it long-term because of "liability" issues. So the service mngr just called me and said they could not find the answer and I would have to come get my car because they are unable to duplicate the constant stalling problem which so many people have complained about here. Do you have any advice? I have been to two reliable, competent mechanic shops and they both have come up empty-handed.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: The car stalls out different times- sometimes when idle other times when driving. The BIGGEST problem is that it is not consistent. It happens occasionally only... But when it happens, it is totally frustrating because the cars behind me start honking and it becomes "white knuckle" driving to get to a mechanic. And then when I get there, the car acts "normally" again!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above, I don’t fix cars. I am a worthless civilian with no mechanical knowledge whatsoever
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. The car is great otherwise. I just don't know what to do next. I think you have to read all the similar complaints in this forum and that's my problem as well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 5 months ago.

If I had to guess, I would say that you have a failing crankshaft position sensor. It needs to operate within a certain resistance range, and as the vehicle heats up, it may wander above this range, and stall the engine. And for some reason, since the engine dies at that time, it does not store a fault. because with the engine not running it is perfectly normal not to have a signal from the crank sensor!