Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I've got a 2011 Kia Sorento. Sometimes when I start the

Customer Question

I've got a 2011 Kia Sorento. Sometimes when I start the vehicle, the a/c blows only warm air. If I shut off the vehicle, wait 10 seconds and restart it, the a/c blows cold air as expected.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

When its blowing warm is the compressor running?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not checked, and I'm not sure how to?
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Watch the compressor and see if the clutch part is turning.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, after restarting it several times, the air has blown cold each time and the compressor is running. I haven't been able to make it not work yet, it is an intermittent problem.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

OK. There really isnt a lot I can do to help if you cant get it to act up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The compressor is running even when it doesn't blow cold air.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

OK. And if you adjust the temperature from cold to hot and back to cold does that change anything?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. It either blows cold air or it doesn't. If it's not blowing cold air, restarting the car usually gets it to blow cold air. The frequency this occurs has been increasing for about 4 weeks.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

OK when its blowing warm air feel the metal A/C lines going into the firewall. What do they feel like?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The larger metal a/c line feels normal, the smaller line feels very cool.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

OK. The problem is electrical. Most likely the temperature door actuator.

Are you wanting to fix it yourself?

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing and verify that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do have a multimeter. I would like to try to fix it myself if I can.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

OK. I am attaching a pinout of the actuator as well as the replacement instructions which should help you locate it for testing. When it is acting up check the voltage between pins 3 and 7 and let me know what you get.

Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Sorry here are the attachments.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will need to wait about an hour before pulling the glove box. I will get back to you then.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Alright. Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I pulled the glove box and the temperature control actuator was performing nominally. Had to break down and take it in to have the pressure tested. It was low on refrigerant and they told me the low-side pressure was too low. Does that mean the compressor is going, or is there something else I might be able to look at fixing?
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

If the low side pressure is too low to create cool air it would not let the compressor run. I have my doubts about their diagnoses.

Being low on refrigerant is natural. The molecules of R134 are so small that it does leak just a tiny but and needs recharged over time. The vehicle is 5 years old so its about that time.

If it works after charging it then I stand corrected but that sure seems odd., Either way if its low it needs topped off so it couldnt hurt.