sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

We have a 2012 sportage that just had a new battery put in.

Customer Question

we have a 2012 sportage that just had a new battery put in. the alarm immediately went off after connecting the battery and continued to do so rougly every 30 seconds. the auto parts store tried everything they could think of to get it to stop but no luck. the car will start. was able to drive it home (the car would 'click' 10 times on a regular basis). finally got the alarm to stop by means unknown. now, the alarm will go off when the door is opened. the alarm will continue to sound while driving and stop a minute or two after stopping the car
Category: Kia
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, is this a factory alarm system or an aftermarket alarm system?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
possibly both. the vehichle belongs to my daughter who is currently on deployment. She says that the vehicle has the key fob w/ a chip in it and that the dealer also installed an aftermarket system. I did find an avital model 3100L owner's guide in the glove box. That manual mentions remote controls which appear not to be in the car.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok, if it is equipped with an aftermarket alarm there should be a valet switch to over ride/cancel the aftermarket alarm. Usually located under the drivers dash steering area will be a small button you hold down and turn the key to on. Or you can try disconnecting the battery and turning the ignition to the on position and reconnecting the battery should bypass the alarm system to reset.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The valet button is nowhere to be found. Looked under the dash as well. The second suggestion of turning to on position and reconnecting the battery did not work either. I've set-up an appointment w/ a Kia dealership for Monday
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

OK thats all i can suggest at this time

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, thank you.
You're welcome.