Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Kia Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

I have a 2008 spectra with the error code of 0171 bank 1

Customer Question

I have a 2008 spectra with the error code of 0171 bank 1 system too lean. Where is bank 1
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 154,000 and just had timing belt change
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If it's on top maybe I can do it or take it to the shop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

The P0171 is a fairly general code that says the fuel system is running "lean". This means there is not enough fuel, too much air or a faulty oxygen sensor. So unfortunately, there is no 1-answer type of answer here and a few things will need to be tested. First, the fuel pressure will need to be tested to make sure the fuel pump is working at full capacity. If the fuel pressure checks ok, the system will need to be tested for intake air leaks and vacuum leaks. If all of these check ok, then suspect a faulty oxygen sensor. If the oxygen sensor is deemed to be the problem, it's mounted to the exhaust before the Converter. More commonly here, the oxygen sensor itself is not the problem and other items should be completely tested and ruled out before replacing the oxygen sensor. If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

..