sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I drive a Kia Rio 2006 automatic - lately when starting up

Customer Question

I drive a Kia Rio 2006 automatic - lately when starting up from a stop it lacks power. Also today on the highway the rpms much higher than usual, 3500+ when doing 70. Just had an oil change.
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It does sound as if you have a transmission issue, what you're describing is the trans going into limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue it thinks will prevent proper operation it will lock you in a single gear. This is why it seems sluggish on takeoff and whey cruising RPM's are higher than they should be.

There are many possible causes for limp in including solenoids, speed sensors, wiring, an internal trans issues and even the trans controller itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes are setting in the transmission control module and then testing will be done based on what codes are found.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks - can my mechanic do this or will I have to go to Kia?

Any shop should be able to diagnose and repair the issue.