Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

I replaced brake switch on 2006 Kia Sportage. When I shift

Customer Question

I replaced brake switch on 2006 Kia Sportage. When I shift to reverse its a hard thump. Sorry I don't know how else to explain. I was trying to adjust and rubber/plastic piece broke in 3 pieces.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No and have had no issues. Only replaced brake switch because car would not crank and many online forums suggested this was the problem. It was not the problem and I had to have the starter replaced today. When I got the car back it shifted hard from park to reverse. Does the adjustment of brake light switch have anything to do with it?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have moved the bolts up and down and it seems to help but now the rubber disk for the contact point is broke. Brake lights are stuck on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just want to know if me trying to replace brake switch causes my problem and how to fix it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The brake light switch wont cause the hard shift.The hard shift is caused by either a failing pressure control solenoid in the transmission valve body,the transmission valve body itself at fault needing replaced or debris build up in the transmission valve body with a transmission flush needed to remove the debris.

As for the brake switch it does sound like it needs replaced again since it is broken.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete