Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1

Replaced disc,plate, throw out bearing and cylinder. Bled

Customer Question

Replaced disc,plate, throw out bearing and slave cylinder. Bled slave and it worked fine for about 1/2 mile before it malfunctioned again. Now we have full range on the shifter but clutch isn't engaging.
JA: How many miles on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: 220k. Not sure on transmission, bought it used
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hoping to
JA: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

you don't say what model Kia this is but

I'd say the next thing to try is replacing the seals in the clutch master

if the reservoir fluid is dark then this is a sign that the seals are breaking up

If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.

If its a cable type linkage check along the cable lengths for any damage or signs of heavy wear / fretting, if you find any replace the cable. There may be some adjustment on the cable tension at the gearbox end (depending on the year) and the cable should be tensioned so there is a minimum of slack but not so its taught

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a 2002 2wd Sportage. What's really getting to me is that after the clutch was initially replaced the car shifted gears and ran great for about a month, then started acting the same way it did before the clutch replacement. Does this vehicle have a clutch master or does it run off the brake master cylinder ?
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

there's a clutch master cylinder but it does share its reservoir with the brake cylinder

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you