Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

Steering wheel is locked key won't turn have tried getting

Customer Question

Steering wheel is locked key won't turn have tried getting new key cut nothing triple a wants to charge me 400+ to fix this problem and they can't even tell me what the problem is
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park and I have no clue it is a 2009 Kia Rio LX
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes and No lol
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried turning the wheel and jiggling key no luck tried new key no luck
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having is very likely caused by a problem with your shift lock cable and or lock actuator. Are you able to shift the shiftier out of park? If not can you check your break lights and see if they are working, post back with these results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My car does not have a manual shifter so in order for me to move it without being able to crank it up I had to lift the shifter panel and override the shifter yes the brake lights work fine
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

If you having to lift the shift lock actuator then you are very likely dealing with a bad shift lock cable and or the shift lock, if the shift lock actuator is seeing the signal from the break lights it should release on it own.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My problem is that my steering wheel is locked firmly in place the key which was working perfectly fine before all of a sudden won't turn in the ignition some people said it was my ignition lock cylinder but I can't replace it without the key turning it to ACC so both steering wheel and ignition LOCKED
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

I under stand that , its locked because the ignition lock will not release and you correct if in fact it is the lock you would need to key to turn or you would have to drill the pin out. That being said you should start with a hands on inspection of the shift lock cable as well . The car is not by chance parked up against a curb is it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No sir it is not
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay well unfortunately this is going to require some hands on testing and I can not do that from here . If you would like , I can open the post back up and perhaps someone else has something else to offer.