rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Well my 2010 rio5 has been intermittenly stalling when

Customer Question

Well my 2010 rio5 has been intermittenly stalling when stopped and idling. Recently it did just immediately after starting the engine
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: It has stalled going up, down, and when on level ground. All instances have happened when stopped thus far. Fuel tank is always right about half when it atarts
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I have only had the car for a week and a half
JA: OK! The Kia Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: When the engine does stall, the tachometer fails to register the rpms after the engine has been started again. This is also a manual transmission
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

You need to test the fuel pressure wit a gauge and also check for spark at the plugs to cover all the bases.

The tach will not show a reading if the engine is not running, so that's normal.

Thanks,Ron

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As far as the tach is concerned, the issue with it is when the engine has shut off THEN restarted. When the engine is started after the stall it doesn't work. How does one go about checking fuel pressure?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

I see, you need a fuel pressure gauge to test the pressure. It can also be tested with a lab scope as well as the CRANK sensor for a possible spark issue. It's always best to test these components prior to replacing them.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you expect that my local Kia service dept. would be willing to perform these tests? They sounds relatively simple and minimally time consuming
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Of course they will, that's what they get paid for.

Thanks again, Ron