George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech

My ac is cold when driving at a fast speed with no stops but

Customer Question

My ac is cold when driving at a fast speed with no stops but when in the city at stop lights and stop signs there is only warm air coming out. The system has Freon. I had it checked and the condenser fan seems to be working.
JA: How is the air flow? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: No I haven't. What should I ask my husband to check? Is there anything else I should have him check?
JA: What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: 2004 Kia Sorento
JA: Got it. What model and year?
Customer: 2004 Kia Sorento
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had compressor and clutch replaced last summer. Checked Freon levels.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: It was cooling on freeway and not in town for about a month then 2 days ago seemed to stop putting out cold air at all. Our temps soared here into the triple digits 2 days ago also, go figure! I was wondering if it could be the condenser fan relay? I have been trying to research on line and this is one of the things I have found.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 4 months ago.

Hello I will help.

At the lower speeds the system relies on the cooling fan to run on high and move air through the condenser. At speed it is natural flow and at idle it has to be forced flow.

Is your cooling fan running on high speed when you have the AC on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That was the first thing I asked my husband to check was the fan. He did say it was running.