Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

I have three issues with my Kia Sedona 2006 , 160K milles, -

Customer Question

I have three issues with my Kia Sedona 2006 , 160K milles, - electrical. Reciently I began rapidly replacing headlight bulbs - 2+ per week, Thus I plugged a gauge into the interior computer connection and I find I am sometimes getting readings of 17+ volts, at that time the battery and brake lights come on and sometimes the ABS and ESC also. The Tire pressure light w/o a location tire shown is on separately prior to a voltage change. Could this be because of the limited power of the radio signals it is more sensitive to the voltage issue OR is the age of the tire batteries, or system ground/corrosion?. I would think that it would show one location thus expect it to be a grounding or corrosion to the TP module. Due to oil leakage the alt was previously replaced with an aftermarket. I understand some alt are voltage regulated by the controller not the alt (found if they have an MP stamped on them) However this one will not have such marks. Is it an MP? I removed fully sanded the battery to chasy ground and reinstalled. Auto zone test on car battery + alt tested OK. As this is intermittent but becoming more permanent is this an alternator or ground condition? Next I have an occasional bank 1, P420 condition. I have replaced the front converter. Is this an Oxegen sensor or converter change. Bank 1 is rear? Is the converter as easy to change as the front was? Remi DeLouche(###) ###-####
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you are reading 17 volts with the engine running that usually means the alternator is overcharging and that can cause all sorts of issue including blowing the headlight bulbs. A normal charging system should never charge more then 14 volts. Before you replace any thing I would consider taking care of the charging system and in most cases that means the alternator is failing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ron Thanks for your reply. The alt was tested and passed as well as the battery. I then also cleaned all the ground contacts I could find esp the battery to chasis ground connection for the KIA. As this was the first high voltage issue that I have experienced I consulted with a alt shop and was told that if the ALT had a MP on the serial or model number it may be controlled by the "Main Board". This info may be of value to you. This alt had been previously replaced due to the chronic KIA/Hyundai dual over head cam rocker arm cover oil leaks onto the ALT. of which I am sure you are aware. (Hyuundai issued a recall just to fix and I am awaiting a check for the already repaired cover and replaced alt.) Yesterday the alt finally went into continuing 17/18 volt and then when tested it and it was found to be faulty. It was under life time warranty and started the removal last nite when hot and finished the replacement this morning. The tire pressure monitoring light still is lit. It was intermittent and would come on first before the high voltage was noticed and then the following all dash lights lit. I do not see a comment on that portion of my concerns. I have now confirmed that the Bank the P420 is referring to IS the engine side near the firewall. Thus I have either OX sensor or CAt converter replacement @163K. Do you have an opinion and maybe you can share how hard it is to replace the Cat in this location. The front was exceptionally easy. Since I don't have a lift would it be easier to go in over the top (remove the air intake manifold?) What is your take on the TPMS light?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The code P0420 is the bank to Catalytic converter failure (firewall side) . In 99% of all cases replacing the HO2S will not cause this code to set. The bank 2 converter is not going to come out from the top, it has to come out from under the car. Unfortunately Kia dose not offer any replacement steps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ron I guess im not the avg custoner. I did bit want to give you kess than a great responce however, I determined the voltage problem and even replaced the alt before your response same for determining which bank was at the fire wall. I have not ordered the replacement cat yet so i have not even tried to inspect for removal and while in there will change the Oxy sensor while i am there. I have already replaced the front so i have experience already. I have not heard back on the tire pressure light on issue (w/o any tire noted) so i could give you that top raiting. Not being a pro i an not workingvon my auto except when i fine time. If you have replied on the pressure i have not see it, sorry. Remi DeLouche(###) ###-####cell