Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas
93876653

My 2008 Rondo has the a/c air blowing from the defrost

Customer Question

My 2008 Rondo has the a/c air blowing from the defrost windshield vents only. Will not switch to console or floor vents at all.
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My 2008 Rondo has the a/c air blowing from the defrost windshield vents only. Will not switch to console or floor vents at all.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked blower motor, which works fine at all speeds. Replaced cabin air filter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: The a/c works fine and the blower blows at all speeds. It just will not switch vents.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 6 months ago.

Sorry you are having issues with your heating and AC!

It sounds like you have what we call a "mode door servo" that is not moving the mode door, which when you change the position of the air and where it comes out, that servo moves a door inside the ac duct work to redirect that air.

Luckily this one looks like it is pretty easy to get to. I attached the directions and also a picture of the location. On the picture of the location you can see to just the left of the mode door servo, there is the steering column, so if you are looking up from the floor board it would be to the right of that. It will have two screws and a connector on it.

It is very important, once you get the servo motor out, that you try to move the door with your finger or small screw driver to make sure the door is not physically binding or blocked. IF it is, then thats a whole new issue that we can address.

Please do not forget to rate me, that is the only way I get credit for my answers. After you rate me this thread will remain open so you can come back and ask questions.

Thank you!!