Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained

Bought 2016 Kia Sorento LX w/ 7000 miles and 2nd owner

Customer Question

Bought 2016 Kia Sorento LX w/ 7000 miles and 2nd owner warrantee. Within 50 miles of use this issue arose
1) Vehicle would start but would not come out of "Park" and go into any gear
2) Check engine light came on
3) Repeatedly tried re=started car and attempted to put it into gear. Vehicle stayed locked in "Park"
4 After continued attempts and engaging emergency brake and releasing vehicle came out of park and functioned
5 Check engine light remained on
6) Brought back to dealer who sent it to authorized Kia dealer
7) Vehicle would not duplicate problem while at Kia dealer
8( Vehicle was returned to us and same problem occured within 20 miles of use.
9) Again through repeated attempts vehicle unlock from the "Park" position and function
10) Check engine code stated "battery" needed changing. Battery replaced
11) Problem re-occured
12) Sent back to Kia dealer and "brake switch" was replaced with thought that it was intermitent problem and would not function to let vehicle come out of transmission interlock
13) Problem just re-occured again today and through many attempts came out of "Park" and functioned but "check engine" light is still on.
14) Could not have a diagnostic reading of the "check engine" light done at this time because it occured after hours of the dealer.
Need to know if this problem has been seen w/ other 2016 Kia Sorentos or other Kia model years.
Am only willing to pay for sound advice and logic to cure this problem
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Do you know the code number that was stored?"Am only willing to pay for sound advice and logic to cure this problem" Are you going to be able to do diag and repair so we can sure this problem?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Moose,
NO, I don't know the code number that was stored. I don;t have the Kia diagnostic equipment to tell me. If I take it to a Kia dealer they can get it and deal with the code.
I described the problem in detail and what has been done to date that has not resulted in a cure. I asked your advice if you have encountered this issue before but it appears you did not read my message completely or don't have a clue to any remedy. Since this is within a supposed 7 day FREE TRIAL of this service I don't think you have done anything to assist me and want to end any supposed obligation for further service or cost. Tried it to see if there was any result and at this time it appears to be a total rip off. If you don't cancel any obligation for further use I will and be sure to let others know its not worth the time or effort to use this scam. Any reply welcome
OKay, best of luck. Thanks for giving us a shot at helping you.