Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I have a 2013 Kia Rio SX, just purchased, and the horn

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Kia Rio SX, just purchased, and the horn doesn't work. When I press the panic button it does sound. I replaced a blown horn fuse but it still doesn't work. Also, inside the interior fuse box there is a black wire that has been cut. What does that effect and what gauge wire would I need to reconnect it?
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, the driver side, side mirror does not work when trying to adjust from inside and it has the turn signal on the mirror as well that doesn't work on that mirror. The passenger side does work fine.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The horn issue sounds like a fault with the horn pad itself on the steering wheel.This is most common when this fault occurs like this here.This would have to be tested electronically with a multi meter to verify this is the cause before having it replaced.If you can post a picture of this wire I can see what it may be for.The fault with the mirror sounds like a possible broken wire or wires issue leading to the mirror assembly.This will have to be inspected/tested to be sure and repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here's a pic of the black wire that was cut and also a pic of two connections that are not connected to anything. Also, just for fun, this is a 2013 with 64k miles on it. Would the horn and mirror issues be covered under the warranty? What do I need if it would be? If it's not, about what can I expect to pay for repairs to both?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

These look to be after market wires installed after the vehicle was built.Is there a remote start or alarm system installed after market on this model here at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I really couldn't say. The person I bought it from acquired the vehicle after the original owner passed away. They didn't know too much about the car and just needed to get rid of it.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Is there any way you can trace these wires and see what they lead to and let me know if they lead to a box/ecu and if there is a part number or name brand label on it?