internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Import car specialist for over 10 years.

Kia Tech, I have a 2004 Kia Optima V-6 with about 149k miles

Customer Question

Hi, Kia Tech,
I have a 2004 Kia Optima V-6 with about 149k miles on it. For about 2 years now, this car consumes gasoline at twice the new car rate. I did not really measure the milage, but I'm convinced something is out of wack. I replaced the air filter and cleaned out the throtle body as wel as I could, but this has no effect on the excesive gasoline consumption.
Our mechanic told us he, replaced the spark plugs together with the valve timing belt around 129k miles. I love to drive that car and don't care it is old. It still has the original exhaust system on it.
I'm an old man with little money,
Gerrit Stam
Category: Kia
Expert:  internal88 replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I'm Matt- Kia tech.The engine most likely have lot of carbon built up in the chamber.You can use a bottle of techron to clean it up. The techron will clean the fuel injector and the intake manifold.Seafoam is another chemical that will do the samething but better. It will actually clean the top of the piston.Make sure the tire pressure is at 32 psi.Make sure the transmission fluid has been changed.I'm assuming the check engine light is not ON.Please rate me positive, thank you! Let me know if you have further questions.