Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

Would the vehicle speed sensor cause the car to accelerate

Customer Question

Would the vehicle speed sensor cause the car to accelerate on its own? We where in a drive through car wash, and car was on but in park, all of a sudden the car accelerated up to a 4 on its own, I had to turn off car for it to stop doing it.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Patricia,You were in a carwash with the engine running, transmission shifter in park is that correct?And then the speedometer or the tachometer moved to "4", do you mean 4 mph or 4000rpm?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
4000 rpm
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, it idled high to a 4.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the tachometer
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Ok, are you saying the engine raced to 4000rpm, so then you turned it off?It is ok now, or is it doing funny things now?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I turned car off because it wouldn't stop doing it. Waited and turned back on, it did it again. When car wash was done I started car it drove fine. But haven't got back in it, I'm to scared that it will accelerate while in motion.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
I can understand your grief.Is the car home now?Has the car "dried out" overnight?It may be ok now if it has dried out.I have seen this a few times with many cars, sometimes high pressure water gets into a sensor connector.Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It just happened this evening, so I haven't tried it anymore.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Ok, if you are home now, and all safe, lock the car up in the garage overnight, and we'll see how it is in the morning.Let me know when you are ready to try it again.PS. I had a customers car, one of the techs washed the motor, then it wouldn't start, diagnosis said engine computer, but the next day it was fine.Performed diagnosis again as a final check, one of those things.I didn't want to put a computer in it unnecessarily.Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea. I'm just so scared, don't want to be one of those things where its the gas pedal accelerating and can't stop it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try tmrw.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
I understand, just come back here when you are ready to try it again.Good night for now.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Patricia,Is your car ok now?I would have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience. Kind regards Gary