sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Brand new Kia Soul with instrument needles that are too dim

Customer Question

Brand new Kia Soul with instrument needles that are too dim to be visible, especially during the day, but even at night. Can the LEDs for the needles be replaced with much brighter ones by the dealer? If not, the car is not drive-able as merely guessing the car's speed is dangerous.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. The car has less than 200 miles on it.
JA: OK! The Kia Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: Just a regular, barely driven Kia with unreadable instrument gauges. Too dim.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 months ago.
Hello, are you saying you have the dash /instrument lighting set to maximum and still cant see it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
set to maximum and the needles (just the needles) are still too dim to be made out against the rest of the instruments. This is true at night and during the day, but even worse during the day. Obviously the LEDs that light the needles must be replaced with much brighter ones. Playing with the brightness control does not help as it dims and makes brighter everything, not just the needles. Can the dealer's service department fix this?
sorry, I do not have answer for this at all,. I need to opt out and open the post back up
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The service department can repair the problem if there is actually a problem. If the vehicle is operating as designed then there wouldn't be anything they could do as far as an actual repair under warranty. They may be willing to disassemble the instrument cluster and attempt to replace bulbs with brighter if you wish, but internal instrument cluster repair isn't something that's done in the field and the cluster wouldn't retain warranty if it was modified.What year and model is the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm afraid everything you've told me I already knew and mentioned in my chat messages. It is a 2016 Kia base model with less than 200 miles, purchased two weeks ago. The service dept. said it is "operating properly" which presumably means there is no malfunction, just an inadequate design. It sounds like specialty automotive electronics modification shops know more about this sort of thing than dealer service techs.
It appears information is missing from the page then.If it is operating as designed then the options would be to drive it as is or find someone willing to disassemble and modify the instrument cluster,but it's a very expensive part which would then have no warranty.